ATHENS, Ohio -- The Ohio volleyball team (15-12, 7-7 MAC) will wrap up the regular season at home when Ohio welcomes Buffalo (11-15, 7-7 MAC) and Akron (16-9, 9-5 MAC) this weekend. OU will face Buffalo on Friday (Nov. 15) at 7 p.m. and the Zips on Saturday at 5 p.m.
Saturday against Akron is Senior night. Ohio will honor its five seniors, Shayla Phillip, Lizzie Stephens, Sara Januszewski, Allyson Vaughn and Meredith Howe as well as their senior manager, Cooper Hayes prior to the match.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Ohio swept Kent State and Central Michigan last year to move into sixth place in the MAC with two matches to go.
- Junior middle blocker Tia Jimerson (Sugar Hill, Ga.) took home both the MAC East Offensive and Defensive Player of the Week awards last week.
- Jimerson had a red hot weekend, hitting an impressive .667 with 31 kills in 45 attempts with just one error. In Ohio's first sweep of the weekend, Jimerson had the second-highest attacking percentage in Ohio program history (minimum 10 attacks) at .857. Jimerson did not commit an error on her historic night at the Convo and had 18 kills on 21 swings for her .857 attacking clip. Jimerson followed that performance up with another sweep and 13 hammers on 24 attempts for a .500 attacking percentage. On defense, Jimerson averaged 1.67 blocks per set. Jimerson had three solo blocks and seven assisted blocks over the six sets.
- Junior setter Vera Giacomazzi (San Vendemiano, Italy) won MAC Setter of the Week for the second time this season in Ohio's two sweeps.
- Giacomazzi led the offense to an impressive .312 attacking percentage and 88 kills over the weekend. Giacomazzi averaged 12.5 digs per set and recorded 75 assists in the two sweeps. Giacomazzi started the weekend with her 16th double-double of the season when she posted 43 helpers and 14 digs while Ohio hit .306 as a team. Giacomazzi ended the weekend dishing out 32 assists while Ohio hit .320 as a squad.
- Jimerson leads the MAC in blocks per set at 1.33 and is No. 27 in the nation.
- Giacomazzi is No. 2 in the nation in total assists with 1,175 and No. 12 in the nation in assists per set.
Buffalo is 11-15 and 7-7 in the MAC this season. Ohio and Buffalo met at UB earlier this season, when Ohio took down the Bulls in a five-set thriller that went down to the final point. Maggie Nedoma led the way with 15 kills and Lauren Park had 12. Lexi Nodmann leads Buffalo in blocks per set at .94 and is No. 8 in the MAC this season. UB is second in the league behind Ohio in blocks per set at 2.15.
Akron is 16-9 overall and 9-5 in the MAC this season. Ohio took down Akron on the road earlier this season, 3-1. Giacomazzi had 51 assists and 13 digs while Nedoma led the way with 15 kills and Jimerson had 14. Akron leads the MAC in aces per set at 1.55 and Emily Weigand is No. 1 in the league at .45 while Taylor Kurzuovich is No. 2 in the league at 0.34.