ATHENS, Ohio -- The Ohio women's basketball team (10-8, 4-3 MAC) returns to action on Wednesday, Jan. 24 when the Bobcats host Mid-American Conference West foe Northern Illinois (10-8, 2-5 MAC). Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. inside the Convocation Center. The game can be seen on ESPN3 where Marty Bannister and Kristin Ronai will have the call. If you can't catch it there, Jake Hromada and Gabe Genovesi have you covered on WOUB- AM 1340.
Jan. 24, 2018 | Northern Illinois Huskies (10-8, 2-5 MAC) vs. Ohio Bobcats (10-8, 4-3 MAC) | 7 p.m. ET | Athens, Ohio | Convocation Center | Gametracker |Watch ESPN | Listen Live | Ohio Game Notes | NIU Game Notes
A WIN AGAINST NORTHERN ILLINOIS WOULD...
- Give Ohio their 18th all-time win against NIU.
- Give head coach Bob Boldon his 193rd career win and his 94th at Ohio.
- Give Ohio its 558th victory in program history and 291st MAC win.
- Move the Bobcats to 11-8 and 5-3 in the MAC.
- Give Ohio 11 wins in a season for the fourth-straight year and the fourth time under Boldon.
ALL TIME AGAINST NORTHERN ILLINOIS
- NIU leads the all-time series against Ohio, 19-17.
- The last time the two teams met was March 8, 2017 in the MAC Tournament Quarterfinals.
- The Huskies won the game, 72-72.
- The Huskies defeated the Bobcats in both game the two teams met in, with NIU winning the regular season matchup 88-80.
- Prior to that, Ohio had won three-straight against the Huskies.
- The Bobcats are currently 10-8 overall and 4-3 in the MAC defeating Bowling Green, 70-63 inside the Stroh Center on Jan. 20.
- Leading Ohio is Amani Burke who is averaging 13.4 points per game.
- Next is Cierra Hooks who is averaging 13.1 points per game and is averaging a team-leading 5.2 rebounds a contest. She is also leading the team in steals with 56 for the season, while also adding 34 assists.
- Dominique Doseck is adding 9.2 points a game and is leading the team with 31 three-pointers made.
- Gabby Burris is slowly climbing her way up the points ladder, averaging 9.7 points per game and 12.1 points per game since MAC play began.
- Taylor Agler adds 8.7 points a game and 3.7 rebounds to go along with her team-leading 73 (4.1) assists.
- As a team, Ohio is averaging 66.6 points a game while allowing opponents to score 65.6 points a game.
- Ohio is shooting .366 from the field, .261 from three-point range and .657 from the free throw line.
- The Bobcats are averaging 32.8 rebounds a game, 10.1 assists per game and 1.8 blocks a game.
- The Bobcats are turning the ball over only 14.1 times a game, while forcing opponents to turn the ball over 24.1 times.
- Ohio is also averaging 13.3 steals a game.
- The Bobcats are currently second in the nation in turnover margin, third in turnovers forced and fifth in steals per game and ninth in total steals.
- In the Nov. 12 opener, four Bobcats made their first ever start as a Bobcat (Katie Barker, Amani Burke, Dominique Doseck and Kendall Jessing), while three others made their college debut (Burris, Cierra Hooks, Alexis Stover)
- On Nov. 16 against Notre Dame, Four Bobcats finished in double-digits and redshirt senior guard Taylor Agler finished with a career-high 10 assists. Meche'la Cobb also made her Bobcat debut.
- Ohio returns one starter from last year's squad, in redshirt senior Taylor Agler.
- On Dec. 10 at Purdue, the Bobcats defeated the Boilermakers for the first time since 1982, and defeated a Big Ten team on the road for the first time since 1994.
- The Bobcats have forced teams to turn the ball over 30-plus times five times this season, and have forced at least 20 turnovers in 12 of their 18 games.
- On Dec. 31, Doseck scored a career-high 27 points against Toledo. It was the first time all season that a Bobcat score 20 or more points.
- Doseck was named MAC East Player of the Week on Jan. 2 for her performance the week of Dec. 25.
- On Jan. 13, Cierra Hooks scored a career-high 22 points in a win at Western Michigan. She was the second Bobcat this season to score 20-plus points in a game. Hooks scored 15 of her 22 points in the third quarter.
- Hooks added another 20-point game on Jan. 20 at Bowling Green, scoring 20 points and going 10-of-12 from the free throw line.
THE LAST TIME WE SAW OHIO
- Ohio is coming off of a 70-63 victory against Bowling Green on Jan. 20 inside the Stroh Center.
- Cierra Hooks led the way with 20 points, going 5-of-11 from the field, 10-of-12 from the free throw line, grabbed eight rebounds and has two assists, three steals and a block.
- Gabby Burris added 12 points, going 4-of-9 from the field, 1-of-2 from three, 3-of-4 from the free throw line, had four rebounds, a block and two steals.
- Katie Barker added nine points, going 3-of-4 from three-point range and grabbed four rebounds.
- Taylor Agler dished out a team-leading four assists and had five rebounds.
- As a team, Ohio went 20-of-60 (.367) from the field, 7-of-21 (.333) from three-point range and 19-of-24 (.792) from the free throw line.
- The Bobcats were out rebounded by the Falcons 39-37, but dished out nine assists, had two blocks and nine steals.
- Ohio forced BGSU to turn the ball over 18 times and scored 17 points off of them. They also scored 26 points in the paint, 12 second chance points, nine fast break points and 39 bench points.
- For Bowling Green, Haley Puk had 14 points, while Sydney Lambert and Carly Santoro had 13 points.
- The Falcons went 21-of-57 (.368) from the field, 9-of-25 (.360) from three-point range and 12-of-18 (.667) from the free throw line. They also dished out 10 assists, had three blocks, six steals and forced Ohio to turn the ball over 11 times and scored five points off of them.
IN NIU'S LAST GAME
- Northern Illinois is coming off of an 83-76 loss at the hands of Eastern Michigan on Jan. 20.
- Leading the Huskies was Courtney Woods who scored 31 points, going 10-of-21 from the field, 3-of-11 from three-point range and grabbed seven rebounds.
- Kelly Smith added 16 points, going 6-of-17 from the field and grabbing a team-leading eight rebounds.
- Paulina Castro also added 14 points, going 4-of-5 from three-point range.
- NIU shot .435 from the field, .364 from three-point range and .700 from the free throw line. They forced EMU into nine turnovers and scored seven points off of them, while grabbing 37 rebounds.
- For EMU, four Eagles scored in double figures and were led by Sasha Dailey who scored 19.
- Emoni Jackson added 13 points while grabbing a team leading 14 rebounds.
- EMU shot .485 from the field, .471 from three-point range and .688 from the free throw line.
- EMU scored 23 points off of 13 NIU turnovers.
SCOUTING NORTHERN ILLINOIS
- NIU is 10-8 overall and 2-5 in the MAC after falling to Eastern Michigan, 83-76 on Jan. 20.
- Leading the Huskies is Courtney Woods who is averaging 21.0 points per game and grabbing 7.2 rebounds a game.
- Kelly Smith is scoring 16.4 points per game, while Mikayla Voigt is added 14.4 points per game, followed by Janae Poisson's 10.8 points per game.
- Ally May leads the team with 8.2 rebounds a game.
- As a team, NIU is averaging 80.2 points per game, while allowing opponents to score 76.8 points a game.
- The Huskies are shooting .440 from the field, .389 from three-point range and .758 from the free throw line.
- NIU averages 41.1 rebounds per game, followed by 15.8 assists and turns the ball over 15.8 times a game.
- The Huskies also average 7.0 steals a game and force opponents to turn the ball over 14.5 time a game. They also average 2.6 blocks per contest.
LAST TIME AGAINST NORTHERN ILLINOIS
- The Bobcats and Huskies last met on March 8 in the quarterfinals of the MAC Tournament, with NIU scoring 48 second-half points to clip Ohio, 72-71.
- Leading the Bobcats was Quiera Lampkins who scored 17 points and grabbed five rebounds.
- Next was Amani Burke who added 16 points and seven rebounds.
- Jasmine Weatherspoon added 11 points and 10 rebounds and five blocks.
- As a team, Ohio shot .344 from the field, .342 from three-point range and .933 from the free throw line.
- Ohio dished out 16 assists, had eight blocks and six steals.
- Ohio forced NIU to turn the ball over 10 times and scored 11 points off of them.
- Leading NIU was Mikayla Voigt with 19 points. Ally Lehman added 17 points and Courtney Woods and Sladek both had 12.
- As a team, NIU shot .453 from the field, .235 from three-point range and .833 from the free throw line.
- NIU dished out 16 assists, had one block and four steals.
WHAT FRESHMAN JITTERS?
- Freshmen Cierra Hooks and Gabby Burris have come on strong for the Bobcats since the start of MAC play.
- Overall, Hooks is averaging 13.1 per game, but 14.4 points a game since MAC play because.
- Hooks has also had two 20-point games in the last three games.
- Hooks also leads the team in rebounds (5.2) and steals (3.1).
- Burris is averaging 9.7 points overall, but is scoring an average of 12.1 since the start of conference play.
- In conference, Burris is averaging 27.1 minutes on the court and averaging 5.0 rebounds a game.
The Bobcats will return to action on Saturday, Jan. 27 when Ohio heads to Oxford, Ohio to take on Miami for the first installment of this year's 'Battle of the Bricks'. Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. and can be seen on ESPN3.