The Life Skills Program:
Ohio University is proud to participate in the Life Skills Program launched by the NCAA Foundation and Division I-A Athletic Director's Association in 1994. OHIO Athletics is committed to a program that develops the leadership potential of all student-athletes as they prepare for rewarding careers after athletics. The mission of the Life Skills Program at Ohio University is to promote leadership and to establish a commitment of service to others as a foundation for a balanced lifestyle.
To influence the student-athlete to develop and pursue career life goals by:
- Integrating the student-athlete into the career services programs offered by the Career and Leadership Development Center on campus.
- Sharing internship and summer job opportunities in a student-athlete's chosen career field.
- Assisting student-athletes in preparing for the job search and job interviews through various programs and workshops offered by SAAC.
To encourage student-athletes to give service to others as a foundation for a rewarding lifestyle by:
- Maintaining a comprehensive service program and encouraging all student-athletes to commit to service.
- Service initiatives take place in the Athens and surrounding communities to serve several groups in Southeast Ohio.
- Service projects are completed per team or by SAAC members and vary from year-to-year.
To foster the personal development of the student-athlete by:
- Establishing an environment that promotes a healthy, well-balanced lifestyle through various workshops.
- Providing leadership opportunities with the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
- Encouraging self-exploration through on-campus resources.
Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC):
SAAC is a registered student organization that provides student-athletes with the education and experiences needed to assist them in bridging the gap from college to the professional world, and to encourage meaningful contributions to their communities. Membership consists of four executive board members, team representatives selected by the NCAA Eligibility & Student-Athlete Success staff in conjunction with head coaches, and additional student-athletes seeking involvement in programming provided by SAAC. SAAC plans activities consistent with the three commitments of the Life Skills program: personal development, community service, and career development. Each segment is viewed as critical in the personal growth process of student-athletes.
THE ROLE OF SAAC AT OHIO UNIVERSITY:
- To design and implement activities that enhance the involvement of sporting events at Ohio University and to promote awareness of OHIO Athletics within the campus and Athens area
- To actively encourage involvement of student-athletes in campus and community outreach programs and activities
- To provide student-athletes with the opportunity to effectively communicate with the athletics department administration on matters that involve the welfare of the student-athlete
- To effectively make decisions or act on any other matter relevant to the goals and responsibilities of the OHIO SAAC
- To serve as advocates for all student-athletes in communicating information about relevant issues and proposed NCAA rule changes
- To serve as advocates for all student-athletes in communicating information about relevant issues at the University and Mid-American Conference level
2019-2020 SAAC Executive Board
Melissa Koziol, Women's Cross Country/Track and Field
Kat Redden, Women's Swimming and Diving
Olivia Sensky, Women's Soccer
Jillian Shive, Field Hockey
Sydney Leckie, Women's Soccer
Public Relations Chair
Jessie Hartman, Women's Cross Country/Track and Field
Social Media Coordinator
Julian Ross, Football
2018-2019 SAAC Programming
- Voter Registration at the Sook Academic Center
- SAAC Fundraiser at DP Dough
- SAAC Fundraiser at OMG Rotisserie
- Recess with Rufus at Morrison-Gordon Elementary
- Mid-American Conference Diversity and Inclusion Week
- Athens Community Center Halloween Carnival
- Grandparents and Special Friends Day at Morrison-Gordon Elementary
- SAAC Food Drive to benefit the Athens County Food Pantry
- Mid-American Conference Mental Health Awareness Week
- Mental Health First-Aid Training with NAMI of Wheeling
- Student-Athlete Speaker: Amy Gamble, former Olympian
- Student-Athlete Yoga Night at Ping Recreation Center
- Black History Month Student-Athlete Career Transition Program
- Bobcat/Bulldog Indoor Field Day
- SAAC won the Spring 2019 Outstanding Programming Award from the OHIO Division of Student Affairs
- OHIO Challenge Course with Diversity Leadership Ambassadors
- Habitat for Humanity/Restore Furniture Move - Armbruster and Weld Houses