Score: Ohio 0, Kent State 1
Records: Ohio (4-11, 2-4 MAC), Kent State (8-9, 5-1 MAC)
Location: Kent, Ohio
Short Story: The Ohio field hockey team (4-11, 2-4 MAC) suffered a tough 1-0 loss to Kent State (8-9, 5-1 MAC) on a cold and rainy Saturday afternoon in Kent, Ohio.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first period would go scoreless, with both squads making attempts to get on the board.
- The start of the match would be an aggressive battle.
- Ohio would earn a penalty corner early in the game, but the Bobcats were not able to convert.
- The Flashes would record four shots in the first half while the Bobcats recorded one shot.
- Alex Pennington (Easton, Pa.) would record two saves in the first half.
- The second half would start slow until the 40th minute.
- Kent State's Laila Richter would earn a goal on a strike fro30 minutes to play.m point blank range to put the Flashes up 1-0 with 30 minutes to play.
- The Bobcats would make another attempt to get on the scoreboard in the last minute on a shot by Brittany Keen (Perth, Western Austraila), but Ohio was unable to score.
- Kent State would win the shot battle 10-2.
- Kendall Ballard (Charlottesville, Va.) and Keen would record both shot attempts for the Bobcats.
- Kent State would also take the corner battle 2-7.
- Pennington would finish the match with five saves, allowing one goal in her 70 minutes of work.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Flashes increase their lead in the series to 49-27-2.
"I'm very proud of how this team competed today. I think we were in the game for its entirety. We did a good job with playing some really good defense and limiting their opportunities. I think all of our backfields stepped up and played really well today. We created some good chances, I think we could have done a better job of creating a few more but our effort was good in the last five or 10 minutes, we were down on their end really pressing hard. The fight this team is showing is really impressive." - Head coach Neil Macmillian